Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Newbie's Guide to Mainer Talk

The boys enjoying some Gifford's Icecream.

After two weeks of living in Maine, I've noticed a definite difference in vocabulary. Mainers, as they are called over here, have accents of various degrees. The thickest accents tend to say "ah" if a word ends with "er": Car = Cah, Harbor = Habah, Lobster = Lobstah. Yet, if a word ends with "ah" they tend to say "er": Linda = Linder. And the most common..."shoowah" = sure.


There are also some words I've simply never heard of.

Moxie: A soda that tastes like cough syrup...if you're a true Mainer you love it. If you're me...one sip is enough!

Whoopie Pies: A delicious dessert said to originate in Maine.

Red Hot Dogs: The hot dogs are bright red! Don't ask me why.

Giffords: Locally made icecream that is served up at several ice cream stands. It's delicious...I won't dare say it's better than Tillamook though.


No comments: